Hajatul Wida (The Farewell Pilgrimage)
22nd June 2008
The performance of the farewell Hajj of Nabi (saw) was an extraordinary event in the annals of Islam. This Hajj was the first and last Hajj of Nabi (saw) after Hijrah. As soon as the news of the intention of Nabi (saw) to perform Hajj reached the Sahaba (ra). They started to come from far and wide to take part in this auspicious pilgrimage of Islam with the Prophet of Allah (saw) as their Amir. The area of Madinah Munawarrah and its surrounding areas became the travel companions of Nabi (saw). As the caravan of Hajjis travelled, then whichever town or village they passed by, they would encounter people and they too would join the group and make the intention for Hajj. The group grew to such an extent that it became difficult to count or imagine the number of people taking part.
In the Hajj of Nabi (saw) which was also the occasion of Fath-ha Makkah, it is reported by Mullah Ali Qari (ra) that there were more than 140,000 people taking part. Nabi Karim (saw) was proclaiming to the people to learn the matters related to Hajj from him (saw), as it was possible that he (saw) would not be able to perform Hajj after this, as reported in Sahih Muslim.
On this very occasion of Hajjatul Wida, Surah An-Nasr (s110) was revealed which informs us about the passing of Nabi (saw) and his journey to the Akhirah. (Hayatus Sahaba)
On the journey Nabi (saw) related many virtues and religious matters pertaining to the Hajj pilgrimage. At the same time he (saw) also delivered sermons on different occasions and places which were relevant to the Ummah until the coming of Qiyamah. For this reason, it is very important that all Muslims keeps them infront of them as a guide, and for all Hajis that when they go to those blessed places they memorise the advice given.
It is related that Nabi Karim (saw)’s journey of Hajj took place on Saturday 25th Dhul Qadah, 10 Hijrah, after Zohar from Madinah Munawarrah. On Sunday the 4th Dhil Hijjah they reached Makkah Mukarammah. From Makkah Mukarammah on Thursday 8th Dhul Hijjah they went towards Mina. On the day of Friday 9th Dhul Hijjah, Hajj took place on Arafat. From there they went to Mina until the 13th Dhul Hijjah for the stoning of the devil -Rami al Jamaraat. On the morning of the 14th Dhul Hijjah RasulAllah (saw) left for Madinah Munawarrah. In total Nabi Karim (saw) spent 10 days from arriving in Makkah and performing the rites of Hajj to their return journey to Madinah Munawarrah.
It should be noted that RasulAllah (saw) remained in the world only 80-90 days after performing the final Hajj. There was never such a large gathering that accompanied Nabi (saw) anywhere other than on this occasion of Hajj. In light of this Nabi (saw) stated many things as advice to the Ummah then, and for those to follow until Qiyamah.
• Imam Tirmidi (rah) has narrated from Hazrat Jabir (ra); he states: ‘ I saw Nabi (saw) in Hajj on the day of Arafat, he was sat on a camel and he (saw) said: ‘O people! I am leaving with you such things that if you hold fast to them you will never go astray, they are the book of Allah (Quran) and my Sunnah.’ (Tirmidi)
• Imam Ibn Majah (rah) related from Abdullah ibn Masud (ra): ‘In the plain of Arafat, Nabi (saw) asked: which day is this? which month is this? Which city is this? People replied; this a sacred day, month and city…Nabi (saw) said: beware! The blood and property of the Muslim is sacred, just as this day, month and city are sacred. And beware, I will reach the pond of Kawther before you and will be proud in front of the other nations because of you. So do not blacken my face, do not disgrace me. And beware, I will save some of you, and others will be far away from me…I will say; O my Lord these are my companions… Allah (swt) will say: ‘You are not aware of the fact that they made changes to that which you left with them.’ (Ibn Majah, Musnad Ahmad)
• Ibn Abbas (ra) states that on the 10th Dhul Hijjah Nabi (saw) delivered a sermon in which Nabi (saw) constantly mentioned the sanctity of a Muslims honour, blood and property. And raising their head, he (saw) said: ‘O Allah be my witness, O Allah be my witness’. Then Nabi(saw) told those that were present to preach the words they were hearing to those not present, and to not disbelieve after the passing of Nabi (saw) and start cutting each others necks. (Sahih Bukhari)
• RasulAllah (saw) stated: ‘Fear your Lord Allah, read the 5 daily prayers, keep the fasts of Ramadan, give Zakaat from your wealth, obey those in positions of leadership, and (by doing this) enter your Lords paradise.’ (Tirmidi)
• It is related that after the stoning of the Jamarat, Hazrat Bilal and Hazrat Usama bin Zayd (ra) were with Nabi (saw). Nabi (saw) stated: ‘(O Muslims!) If an ugly Ethiopian slave is made the leader of you, then obey him, as long as he rules you according to the book of Allah.’ (Tirmidi)
• Ibn Abbas (ra) relates that Nabi (saw) stated: ‘The Devil has conceded that he will not be worshipped in this land of yours (Worshipping idols in the Arabian Peninsula)…However, the Devil is happy that he can mislead you with other sins.’ (Musnad Ahmad)
• Hazrat Jabir (ra) relates that on the 9th Dhul Hijjah in the Plain of Arafat near Masjid Namara Nabi (saw) stated: ‘Beware! Remember all the matters related to the time of ignorance have been placed under my feet and the interest of that time has also been cancelled. The 1st of which is that interest due to my family members, namely, Abbas bin Abdul Mutallib (ra), that is all forgiven and fear Allah with regards to your women. You have made them halal for you with the name of Allah.’ Finally Nabi (saw) asked the companions: ‘Have I related the message of Allah to you!?’ They replied: ‘We bear witness you did propogate the message to us, you have related the message of Allah to us.’ Nabi (saw) then replied whilst raising his index finder to the skies: ‘O Allah!, be my witness, O Allah!,be my witness¸ O Allah!,be my witness.’ (Sahih Muslim)
• Ibn Abbas (ra) relates that Nabi (saw), whilst in Masjid Khaif (Mina) delivered a sermon, He (saw) stated: ‘Whomsoever has the concern of the hereafter, Allah (swt) makes his difficulties easy and the dunya itself will come to them humiliated. And whomsoever has the concern for this world (dunya), Allah (swt) will increase his difficulties and make poverty their condition. Only that amount of wealth can be attained which is pre-ordained!’ (Tibrani)
May Allah (swt) give us the ability to act on all the advice of Nabi (saw) and guide the Ummah towards the straight path, Ameen!
Mufti Yusuf Danka